Missing teeth can reduce your confidence, affect how you eat, drink, and the way you behave while interacting with other people. If you need a long-term solution to your missing teeth, dental implants should be your option. Your doctor surgically places a titanium screw directly into your jaw bone to support crowns or dentures. Implants provide a strong foundation for permanent or removable replacement teeth designed to match your natural teeth. Your trusted specialists of dental implants in Sunnyvale at Perio & Implant Centers of Monterey Bay – Silicon Valley offer expert service in implant placement. They evaluate your implant choices and discuss which one suits you before carrying out the procedure.
Is the Procedure Suitable for Everyone?
If you are healthy to undergo a normal tooth removal or oral surgery, you are eligible for a dental implant. You should have healthy gums and enough bone density to support the implant. You must be committed to proper oral hygiene and regular visits to the dentist. If you are a heavy smoker, ailing from a chronic disease such as diabetes or heart problem, or if you have radiation therapy from the head to the neck, you need to be examined on an individual basis. If you want implants, talk to your dentist to see if they are suitable for you.
How Should I Prepare for the Appointment?
The process of dental implants may involve several specialists like a doctor who deals with issues of the mouth, jaw, and face; a dentist that treats structures that support the teeth, a prosthodontist (designs and fits artificial teeth), and sometimes a specialist of the throat, nose, and the ears. Because it may require several procedures, you need a comprehensive evaluation to prepare for the process. You should prepare for:
- Dental examination- You may have a comprehensive dental examination such as X-rays, 3D images, and making models of your teeth and jaw.
- Evaluation of medical history- During your appointment, mention to your doctor about your health conditions, current medications, and drug supplements. If you have certain conditions, such as a heart problem, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to prevent infection.
- Treatment- Your doctor will tailor a treatment plan that suits your needs. They will consider factors such as how many teeth you need, the condition of your jaw bone, and the available teeth.
To manage pain, you may get an injection of local anesthesia, general anesthesia, or sedation. Talk to your medical caregiver about which option is appropriate for you. Your doctor will advise you on eating and drinking before surgery. If you have general anesthesia or sedation, plan to have someone drive you home after the procedure.
What Should I Expect During Treatment?
The process of dental implants may involve:
- Removal of damaged teeth.
- Jaw bone grafting if necessary.
- Placement of dental implant.
- Bone growth and healing.
- Placing an abutment.
- Artificial tooth placement.
The whole process may take months, from the beginning to the end. A lot of time is required for the healing and growth of the bone in the jaw. Depending on your needs, the procedure, materials used and particular steps may sometimes be combined.
Advanced anesthetics and implantation procedures have made the process comfortable. If you need to change that look and regain the function of your natural teeth, book an appointment with your dentist at Perio & Implant Centers of Monterey Bay – Silicon Valley.